How to download, install and activate Windows Server 2022 Standard
Downloading and installing Windows Server 2022 Standard might seem like a daunting task, especially with limited IT skills. But don’t worry, this guide breaks down all the steps you need to download, install, and activate Windows server 2022.
The process is relatively simple and can be completed by most people with a modicum of IT knowledge. The following steps walk you through the process.
Step 1 – Downloading your copy of Windows Server 2022
The first step is to download your software. There is a link to the Microsoft download site in the email we sent with your Genuine Microsoft Product Key. Don’t worry if you don’t have the details to hand – The following link will take you to the correct web page:
Once on the page, scroll down until you see the heading - Get started for free. You will see a link that says Download the ISO – click this link and follow the instructions to download the ISO file.
Step 2 – Prepare your ISO file
An ISO file contains all the files and programs required to install your copy of Windows Server 2022. However, to install the software, you will need to move the files to some form of removable media. The most practical and easiest to use is a thumb drive. For this purpose, it needs to be at least 8GB and formatted as FAT32.
To check whether a thumb drive is FAT32 formatted, see the following instructions:
1. Plug your thumb drive into a Windows Computer and open a File Explorer window
2. Find the Thumb Drive under the “This PC” listing and right-click on it
3. Select Properties from the context menu that pops up
4. On the General Tab, you will see the File System type listed. Most thumb drives are already formatted as FAT32, so this is normally the case.
If your thumb drive is already FAT32, then you can skip the next section.
How to format a Thumb Drive as FAT32
In the unlikely event that your thumb drive is not FAT32, then the process of converting it is simple. Just follow the steps below.
Important – The following procedure will erase all data on the thumb drive, so be sure to check there are no critical files on the drive before proceeding.
1. Plug the thumb drive into a Windows computer and find it in a File Explorer window
2. Right-click on the drive and select the Format option from the contextual menu that pops up
3. Select the FAT32 (Default) option from the File System drop-down menu and tick the Quick Format box
4. Click Start, the process should only take a few seconds, and after it is complete, you are ready to move on to the next stage
Copy the ISO File
The next step is to copy the ISO file you downloaded in Step 1 onto your FAT32 formatted pen drive. Once this is complete, you are ready to begin the installation.
Step 3 – Installing Windows Server 2022
This step is where some users may experience some minor difficulties.
Basically, the procedure involves plugging your Thumb Drive with the ISO into the target server and letting the server boot up using the setup files on the thumb drive. Once this is achieved, the rest of the process is a matter of following the steps in the installation wizard.
The main problem that users encounter is getting the server to boot from the thumb drive. If there is no existing Operating System on the server, then the bootup procedure should default to the thumb drive. If that is the case, then you are well on your way to installing Windows Server 2022! Just follow the wizards to complete the installation and then jump to the Activate Windows Server section.
Changing the boot order
If there are problems at this stage, then you will have to manually force the server to boot from the thumb drive. Unfortunately, how this is achieved differs from server to server, so it is impossible to dictate precise instructions for this step. However, the steps are all fairly similar, covered below is a fairly typical procedure.
The following instructions describe how to change the boot order on a server that uses an Intel Server board.
1. With the server turned off, plug in your prepared thumb drive
2. Turn the server on and press the F2 key to enter the system BIOS
3. Navigate to the Boot Maintenance Manager option and select the Change Boot Order option to enter the boot menu
4. Use the up and down arrows to navigate to the device you want to boot from (you should see the thumb drive listed as an option)
5. Use the Enter key to select your device and confirm your selection
6. Press the F10 key to save your changes and reboot the machine
If everything worked as expected, your Windows Server 2022 installation should now begin. Follow the installation wizards to complete the installation process.
Step 4 – Activating Windows Server 2022
The final step is to activate your copy of Windows Server 2022. For this, you will need to have a note of your Genuine Microsoft Product Key in hand. If you don’t have one, don’t worry – Brytesoft can supply Genuine Product Keys for Windows Server 2022 Standard for a fraction of the normal cost.
The following steps take you through the process of activating your copy of Windows Server 2022 Standard:
1. Run a command prompt as an administrator. To do this, type CMD into the search bar. The Command Prompt app should be listed
2. Right-click on the Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator from the context menu that appears
3. Enter the following command (replacing the Xs with your product key):
Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Your copy of Windows Server 2022 should now be activated and good to go!
If you have any problems with any stage of the process, then we are here to help. Contact our support team for a fast response to any queries.